Mahindra has unveiled the Thar.e electric SUV concept in Cape Town, showcasing its commitment to electric mobility. The new SUV will be built on the INGLO platform, which will serve as the foundation for upcoming Mahindra electric vehicles.
Distinct Design & Features
The electric Thar introduces a fresh and distinct design language, departing from the traditional ICE-powered Thar’s resemblance to the Jeep Wrangler. This unique design is underpinned by a dedicated electric vehicle platform, diverging from the conventional ladder-frame chassis of the regular Thar.
- The Thar.e electric SUV exclusively features five doors, emphasizing practicality and accommodating a larger vehicle profile.
- Raised suspension contributes to the vehicle’s robust presence, complemented by the Thar’s iconic upright and boxy dimensions.
- The exterior is characterized by ‘flat panels’ and exposed door hinges, contributing to its muscular and utilitarian aesthetics.
The futuristic appeal of the Thar.e concept is evident, notably showcased through its distinctive design elements.
- A pair of quartered square headlamps adorns the rectangular grille, likely to incorporate modern LED illumination.
- The vehicle’s imposing presence is further accentuated by a substantial front bumper, drawing inspiration from contemporary SUVs like the Ford Bronco and classic Land Cruisers.
- The rear of the Thar.e exudes an all-black allure, while the interior adopts a clean and minimalist approach.
Range and Production
As the concept is still in its developmental phase, comprehensive details about the new Thar.e have yet to be divulged. However, in its production iteration, the vehicle could potentially feature a 60 kWh battery pack sourced from BYD. There are indications that electric motors from Volkswagen might also be imported.
- A smaller 60 kWh battery pack is likely to be chosen over the available 80 kWh variant.
- Anticipations suggest that the vehicle could cover a range of approximately 300 km on a single battery charge.
Market Debut and Future Models
Despite the excitement, the Thar.e’s market debut is not imminent. If it materializes at all, production could potentially commence around 2027. In the interim, several other Mahindra electric models from the BE range are poised to make their way to the market.