My colleague Heather Kelly, a price-saving genius, loves telling anyone within earshot to avoid the “premium” subscription to Netflix that costs $19.99 a month.
Premium Subscription Feature
The main feature of the premium Netflix subscription is the ability to watch Netflix simultaneously on four different devices.
(The default no-commercial subscription tier at $15.49 a month lets you watch on two different devices at the same time.)
Heather’s view is that unless you live in a mansion, you don’t need this fancy version of Netflix.
Sharing with Family or Others
- If you’re sharing with your family (or others), maybe it makes sense to get the pricier subscription.
- But ask yourself how often your household needs to have three or four people watching different Netflix programming at once.
Similar Luxury Subscription Plans
- Max also has a similar luxury subscription plan at $19.99 a month.
Tips for the Streaming Era
- Let’s call this a bonus sixth tip for this new stingy streaming era: Be wary of paying for what you don’t really need.
- Streaming prices will probably only go up from here. You want to keep questioning your personal cost-benefit analysis.