## State Government Committed to Improving Education and Healthcare System: Minister for Medical Education
![Sharan Prakash Patil, Minister for Medical Education, addressing doctors and MBBS students during the Doctors’ Day celebration at ESCI Hospital in Kalaburagi on Saturday.](https://www.thehindu.com/theme/images/th-online/1x1_spacer.png)
The State government was committed to improving the education and healthcare system, Minister for Medical Education Sharan Prakash Patil has said.
### Inauguration of Doctor’s Day Celebrations
He was addressing doctors and medical students after inaugurating the Doctor’s Day celebrations at the Employees State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) Hospital in Kalaburagi on Saturday.
### Healthcare Facilities in Kalaburagi
– Kalaburagi district will soon get a mother-and-child hospital.
– The Trauma Centre built in the city will start functioning shortly.
– The Kalaburagi branch of Sri Jayadeva Institute of Cardiovascular Sciences and Research (SJICSR) will be opened by January next year.
– With all these healthcare facilities in Kalaburagi, the district will become a healthcare hub in the Kalyana Karnataka region.
### Upgrades and Developments
– The ESI hospital will get a Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) machine through the Kalyana Karnataka Regional Development Board (KKRDB).
– The ESI handles around 1,000 outpatients every day.
– The Gulbarga Institute of Medical Sciences (GIMS) performs 40 to 50 surgeries each day.
### Appreciation for Healthcare Staff
Dr. Patil lauded the untiring efforts of the staff of the ESI Hospital, Basaveshwar Teaching and General Hospital, GIMS, and Khwaja Bande Nawaz Teaching and General Hospital in providing healthcare services to the people of the region.
### Increased Seat Capacity
– ESIC Hospital and Medical College has been granted permission to increase the MBBS course intake capacity from 100 to 150 and nursing course intake capacity from 40 to 60 seats.
### Postgraduate Courses and Seats
– The ESIC has received permission to start postgraduate courses.
– The NMC has granted 28 seats for different specializations for the first year.
– Specializations include obstetrics and gynecology, biochemistry and microbiology, general surgery, general medicine, pediatrics, and ophthalmology.
Medical Superintendent of ESIC Hospital and Medical College Ivano Loba, Registrar (Administration) K.P. Padmaja, and Registrar (Academic) Amruta Swathi were present during the event.
Source: [The Hindu](https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/state-committed-to-improving-education-and-healthcare-system-says-minister/article67031645.ece)