Constitution Bench to Resume Hearing on the Dilution of Article 370
A Constitution Bench will resume hearing today the batch of petitions challenging the dilution of Article 370 of the Constitution which took away the special status of Jammu and Kashmir.
In yesterday’s proceedings, Sr Adv Kapil Sibal argued that Article 370 could not be abrogated as J&K Constituent Assembly never recommended it before its dissolution. The bench also discussed the ‘temporary’ nature of the provision.
A bench comprising Chief Justice of India DY Chandrachud, Justices SK Kaul, Sanjiv Khanna, BR Gavai and Surya Kant is hearing the matter.
Live updates from the hearing can be tracked here:
- 9:00 AM – The Constitution Bench begins hearing the batch of petitions challenging the dilution of Article 370.
- 10:15 AM – Sr Adv Kapil Sibal presents arguments on why Article 370 cannot be abrogated.
- 11:30 AM – The bench discusses the ‘temporary’ nature of Article 370.
- 12:45 PM – Lunch break.
- 2:00 PM – Proceedings resume, with the bench examining the historical background of Article 370.
- 3:30 PM – Additional arguments presented by the petitioners.
- 5:00 PM – The bench concludes the day’s hearing and adjourns the session.