Harmanpreet Singh and Varun Kumar Shine with 2 Goals Each
India’s captain Harmanpreet Singh and Varun Kumar both scored two goals each, leading the team to a dominant 7-2 victory against China in the opening match of the Asian Champions Trophy campaign. India displayed their attacking prowess, showcasing their penalty corner expertise to secure an early lead. Despite China’s efforts, India’s relentless attacking strategy and solid defense proved too much to handle.
- India’s skipper Harmanpreet Singh and Varun Kumar scored 2 goals each
- India secured a dominant 7-2 victory against China in the opening match of the Asian Champions Trophy
- Harmanpreet showcased his penalty corner expertise, scoring twice in the 5th and 8th minutes
- Varun Kumar added two more penalty corner goals in the 19th and 30th minutes
- Sukhjeet Singh, Akashdeep Singh, and Mandeep Singh also scored for India
- China managed to respond with goals from Wenhui E and Jiesheng Gao
- India exhibited attacking prowess in open play, not just relying on penalty corners
The match took place at the Mayor Radhakrishnan Hockey Stadium in Chennai on Thursday. India wasted no time in taking control, with Harmanpreet and Varun displaying their skills early on. While China managed to respond with a couple of goals, India’s relentless attacking and solid defense ensured a convincing victory.
India will face Japan in their next match on Friday.
(With PTI Inputs)