Meta-owned messaging platform WhatsApp is rolling out an animated avatar feature on iOS beta.
- Users have to open the keyboard and select the avatar tab to check whether the feature is enabled for their account, reports WABetainfo.
- Beta users will then see some animations for certain avatars.
Sharing Animated Avatars
- Users can share the animated avatars with anyone as it is not required to use the beta version to be able to receive them.
- Only a limited number of stickers are animated, but WhatsApp may offer an animated version of the entire avatar pack over time.
Improved Communication Experience
The animated avatars are expected to bring more life and personality to stickers, allowing for a better communication experience.
Rollout and Recent Updates
- The animated avatar feature is currently available to some beta testers after installing the latest update of WhatsApp beta for iOS from the TestFlight app.
- It will roll out to more users over the coming days.
- Last month, WhatsApp rolled out landscape mode support for video calls and silence unknown callers option on iOS.
- The platform also released the ability to natively transfer full account history when switching to a new device.
- A redesigned sticker tray with improved navigation and a larger set of stickers including more avatars was also introduced.
High-Quality Video Feature
A feature on iOS beta allows users to send high-quality videos.
However, the video dimensions are preserved but minor compression is still applied, so sending videos in their original quality is not possible.
The default option is always ‘Standard quality’ for all videos, and users have to select the high-quality option every time they want to send a video with better quality.